The Sexual Assault Center is dedicated to providing help and healing for survivors of sexual trauma, challenging the social dynamics that foster sexual assault, and promoting community awareness of sexual assault issues.
Services of the Sexual Assault Center
- The Sexual Assault Center provided emotional support to all victims of sexual assault in Bienville, Claiborne, Jackson, Lincoln, Union Parishes, regardless of whether they choose to report the crime to law enforcement.
- The Sexual Assault Center supplies a medical escort who will accompany the sexual assault survivor to the hospital and remain with them during the examination, evidence collection and statement to law enforcement.
- The Center provides short-term crisis intervention counseling on an individual basis to the survivor of sexual assault/abuse and any non-offending family members.
- The Sexual Assault Center assists in securing extended counseling services within the community for clients.
- The Center provides a 24-Hour Crisis Hotline to all individuals in the five parish area.
- The Sexual Assault Center offers legal advocacy to assist in criminal prosecution.
- The Center enhances community awareness by providing information through education on the subject of sexual assault and its effects on the victim and their families.
What is Sexual Assault?
Sexual assault is any unwanted sexual contact, whether physical or verbal. All forms of sexual assault are violating and traumatic.
Sexual assault includes:
- Rape and attempted rape by an acquaintance, friend, family member, spouse or stranger
- Child sexual abuse, molestation, incest and child sexual exploitation
- Sexual harassment in the work place, school or on the streets
- Obscene phone calls
- Sexually explicit language or images that elicit fear
WE SUPPORT THE RIGHT OF THE SEXUAL ASSAULT SURVIVOR TO:
- Be believed
- Receive non-judgmental support
- Choose his/her own pace and path of healing
- Expect privacy and confidentiality
- Receive services regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender, age, economic status or the presence of any mental or physical disability.